User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: List of things annoying me today

List of things annoying me today
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phil Mellor Message #106249, posted by monkeyson2 at 14:13, 28/1/2008
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Somebody eating a pear
Internet Explorer 6's lack of standards compliance
Internet Explorer 7's standards compliance
Debug code
Release code
Length of time to recompile code
Length of time to deploy code
Length of time to test code
Discovering code STILL doesn't work
Slow virtual machines
Slow real machines
Whoever thought swapping ctrl and caps lock around in their keyboard settings would be a good idea when you try to remote control their machine
People talking in the office
People talking on the phone
People talking on the far end of the phone
Clacky keyboards
Somebody TAPPING HIS FINGERS

RageRageRageRageRageRageRage
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106250, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:21, 28/1/2008, in reply to message #106249
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Excuses for forum whoring, surely? Or have you run out of forums to whore? shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #106251, posted by monkeyson2 at 14:27, 28/1/2008, in reply to message #106250

Excuses for forum whoring, surely? Or have you run out of forums to whore? shock
Time taken from hitting compile to seeing end result on test page: 8 minutes 17 seconds. indiff

See also:

Slow virtual machines
Slow real machines
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Colin Cartmell-Browne Message #106252, posted by Col at 15:45, 28/1/2008, in reply to message #106251
Could be worse, you could work in insurance, like me!

I would list the things that have annoyed me today- but theres no enough space in the forums!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

JMB Message #106253, posted by jmb at 16:04, 28/1/2008, in reply to message #106249
I like this kind of list tongue

I'd like to add a few things, however.

Debug code
Release code
Debug builds corrupting your program's heap when Release builds work perfectly.

Visual Studio being such an insanely large beast (and thus taking forever to reinstall)

Very yes. 15 minutes or so seems to be about par for my stuff atm.

Slow virtual machines
Running out of disc space on your VMWare partition, then realising there's almost no free space on the other one, either.

Parallels kernel panicking the Mac every time you try to start a VM.

Parallels uninstall procedure being gashy.

Having a fit when you think you've just deleted the wrong kernel extension.

People talking on the phone
Irritating, and irritatingly loud ringtones
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106254, posted by filecore at 16:58, 28/1/2008, in reply to message #106253

Slow virtual machines
Running out of disc space on your VMWare partition, then realising there's almost no free space on the other one, either.
Actually, that is rather annoying. It's happened to me too.

Irritating, and irritatingly loud ringtones
Actually, worse than that is people listening to music on their crappy, tinny headphones. Not just listening, but listening so loud that you can hear their tinny bass beat quite clearly, from several meters away, on a crowded metro, while you're listening to your own MP3 player!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #106255, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:05, 28/1/2008, in reply to message #106254

Actually, worse than that is people listening to music on their crappy, tinny headphones. Not just listening, but listening so loud that you can hear their tinny bass beat quite clearly, from several meters away, on a crowded metro, while you're listening to your own MP3 player!
And why do their songs always have chipmonk vocalists? They should try some Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #106265, posted by adrianl at 19:37, 29/1/2008, in reply to message #106253
That's not an issue! Just release the Release build tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

JMB Message #106266, posted by jmb at 20:43, 29/1/2008, in reply to message #106265
That's not an issue! Just release the Release build tongue
It's not entirely helpful when you want to pass the entire codebase off to someone else -- they kinda appreciate being able to debug their code tongue

Anyway, unlike yesterday, today has actually been productive and, as such, my loathing for computers has subsided a little.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106275, posted by filecore at 19:15, 30/1/2008, in reply to message #106266

"Skype. Take a deep breath."

And then scream.

Honestly, I was going to grumble about the constantly poor quality of Skype calls and the pathetically slow "relayed transfers" of sent files. But the one thing that annoys me most? Other Skype users.

Or, to be more specific, the ones from whom you get ten lines in a row, along the lines of

:#
;&
(sponge)
@@3
/%
:-K
(pig)
(heart)
@.|

And you wonder, what the hell was that? And you tell them, sorry, but I can't see your smilies. "What?" they reply. Or more correctly, "What? :## %-( (heart) @@_". And I say, all I see is "bracket heart bracket at at dot slash semicolon, because I have smilies turned off", and they say ";(~" and I don't know what that's supposed to mean, and for some weird reason THEY JUST DON'T GET THE FACT THAT I HAVE SMILIES TURNED OFF.

</irrelevant and perhaps slightly unclear drunken rant>
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #106688, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:18, 10/3/2008, in reply to message #106275

People who refer to JavaScript as Java.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106856, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:12, 22/3/2008, in reply to message #106688

1. Implementations of rand() where RAND_MAX is considerably lower than INT_MAX, so you can't do handy things like rand()/(RAND_MAX/X) to get a random number from 0 to X without messing around with floats.
2. Inlined functions in header files which won't inline fully, causing the linker to complain about multiply defined symbols. (I suspect I'm meant to be using 'static inline', but IT WORKS FINE ON RISC OS DAMNIT)
3. The stupidity of ld on Linux/cygwin/etc. I've just spent about 5 hours trying to work out why the linker wasn't finding any of the symbols in my libraries. Do you want to know why? Because on the command line I'd listed the libraries before the object files, not after. IT WORKS FINE ON RISC OS DAMNIT.

Honestly, I don't know how non-RISC OS users can live with themselves, knowing that their compilers and libraries are so shit. (I would also have put signed chars on the above list, but I've remembered about the pitfalls of those and added '-funsigned-char' already)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106865, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:30, 24/3/2008, in reply to message #106856

4. Discovering that casting a signed number to a wider but unsigned type (e.g. int -> unsigned long long) causes the number to be sign-extended. So you have to cast it to an unsigned type first, or else that code you're writing to get the file timestamp from some _kernel_swi_regs will be out by 1.3 years for some files. (Or permanently stuck in the year 3.15E9 if you OR (regs.r[2]&0xFF)<<32 instead of adding)

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 01:31, 24/3/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108117, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:19, 22/8/2008, in reply to message #106865

5. The spiders that keep descending from the recessed light fitting thing above my head.

I am now convinced that I am covered in spiders! Argh!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108118, posted by VincceH at 17:17, 22/8/2008, in reply to message #108117
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I dreamed about a spider the other night - specifically a tarantula.

I'd injected it (having already put it to sleep) with some concoction to make it bigger, but to make it work the tarantula had to be stretched - which I attempted to do with clothes pegs. However, I didn't peg it well enough, and when my back was turned, it woke up and broke free - and the stuff I'd injected it with, because it hadn't been stretched, made it stronger instead.

And it was a bit annoyed at me, for some unfathomable reason. I woke up after it jumped at me and I punched it away.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108119, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:50, 22/8/2008, in reply to message #108118

Any idea why you were trying to make a giant tarantula?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108120, posted by VincceH at 20:01, 22/8/2008, in reply to message #108119
VincceH

I have absolutely no idea. I can't remember anything about the dream before the point I was injecting it - only what I was trying to achieve by injecting it (ie to make it bigger).

I suspect the dream either just started there, or prior to that it was an entirely different dream altogether, with no tarantulas or mad-scientist type experiments. In fact, that's probably the case.

[Edited by VincceH at 21:02, 22/8/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108929, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:53, 2/12/2008, in reply to message #106688

Who has now started HUMMING too.

And who also refer to the iPod Touch as the iTouch.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108931, posted by VincceH at 11:59, 2/12/2008, in reply to message #108929
VincceH

Start calling it the iFeel, and if more than one person you know has them, use them to build a tower.

COAT!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108998, posted by monkeyson2 at 12:39, 12/12/2008, in reply to message #108929

Who has now started HUMMING too.
GAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Duffell Message #108999, posted by ad at 12:45, 12/12/2008, in reply to message #108998

A (security I assume) guy in a tweed jacket just walked into the office with his radio turned up excessively high...

QUIET!!!! I'm trying to work!!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #109000, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:13, 12/12/2008, in reply to message #108999

This is more "things annoying me most days" than "things annoying me today", but: Windows running out of some kind of internal resource and failing to create windows properly until I close an open program. How am I meant to work if I can't have 3+ copies of Visual Studio open, 3+ PDF's, 3+ CHM files, 2+ text files, ~5 web pages and ~10 filer windows?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #109016, posted by monkeyson2 at 16:35, 16/12/2008, in reply to message #108929

He bought an i(Pod)Touch today. I have just tried to explain that Mobile Safari is infact a "proper browser" which supports Java (JavaScript) but not Java (Java).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #109313, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:30, 12/2/2009, in reply to message #109016

Excel being shitty and not letting you open two files with the same name.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110302, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:23, 21/6/2009, in reply to message #109313

Excel being shitty and corrupting shared workbooks.

The immaturity of disc I/O scheduling in Windows (XP, although I suspect it'll be just as bad in Vista/7)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #110303, posted by rich at 18:37, 22/6/2009, in reply to message #110302
Rich
Dictator for life
The immaturity of certain file systems under Linux.

After ending up with a Lost+Found with over 10,000 files under Ext3 with my previous fileserver, I thought I'd try Ext4 on this one - it was an installation option, so I presumed it was ready for use. Then the first time I had to reboot after a lock-up (during a thunderstorm), I get sync errors and kernel panics instead of a boot sequence.

The other drives are ReiserFS, which wasn't my first choice given the original coder's problems, but the partition manager didn't properly recognise Ext4. So maybe they fared better. I won't know until the replacement drive turns up.

Edit:
Actually, the partition manager thing reminds me - the amount of time I had to spend modifying text files to get a desktop OS up and running in the first place, which is why I'm not able to just re-install the OS over the original. But when it was running, on a TV with a wireless keyboard, it was pretty sweet.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #110401, posted by rich at 23:28, 28/6/2009, in reply to message #110303
Rich
Dictator for life
(Things that didn't suck - I've pretty much got the machine back to a similar state as before, only using Ubuntu and ReiserFS instead of Kubuntu and Ext4. Using the big TV to browse web pages and SSH into remote servers from the sofa, while Glastonbury played in surround sound through the Picture In Picture box - sweet.)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #111288, posted by andypoole at 17:27, 11/9/2009, in reply to message #110401
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Not quite today, but.. While I was in the process of updating my iPhone to 3.1 the other night, the hard disc in the mac suddenly gave up, thus crashing the machine, thus killing the update process. As a result of this, I had to restore the iPhone on another machine, thus wiping it completely. Because iTunes doesn't store the iPhone backups in the same place as the library, I couldn't recover the iPhone backups. As a result of this, the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator app stopped producing working codes so I couldn't log into World of Warcraft any more. Oh, and the main hard disc in the mac is basically now gone. Aaargh.

(Fortunately, I did get back my contacts, email and calendar stuff from MobileMe, however all my text messages, photos, notes and app data/settings from the phone are gone)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steve C Message #111289, posted by Steve at 18:09, 11/9/2009, in reply to message #111288
The fact that the Isle of Wight has become music-festival centre of the world again this weekend, which means that for anyone *living* here, it's pretty much pointless trying to do anything indiff

Of course, if I'd got myself organised and bought tickets for the Bestival it would have been a different matter tongue

[Edited by Steve at 19:10, 11/9/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #111290, posted by monkeyson2 at 18:41, 11/9/2009, in reply to message #111288

(Fortunately, I did get back my contacts, email and calendar stuff from MobileMe, however all my text messages, photos, notes and app data/settings from the phone are gone)
Your contacts, photos and notes should be backed up on your Mac in the address book, iPhoto and Mail, and the iPhone backup is in /Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup within your user folder.

Do you have Time Machine backups of these things? If you have another Mac you should be able to pull those items off the disk directly (or when you buy a new hard drive, insert the Snow Leopard DVD and choose to install from the time machine backup)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): 1 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: List of things annoying me today